Home > Education > Facilities
Laboratory Geothermal consists of three laboratories:
- Geology exploration laboratory
- Geochemist exploration laboratory
- Computer laboratory
In addition to lectures, students will have laboratory exercises. The laboratory facilities for supporting academic and research activities are available at the Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Technology (FTTM) and the Faculty of Earth Science and Technology (FITB). They are:
- Petrology and Mineral Deposit Laboratory
- Petrography Laboratory
- Optical Crystallography and Ore Mineral Laboratory
- Mineral and Industrial-Constructional Material Laboratory
- Volcanology and Geothermal Laboratory
- Hydrogeology Laboratory
- Geochemistry Laboratory
- Earth Resources Exploration Laboratory
- Applied Geophysics Laboratory
- Drilling Laboratory
- Computer Laboratory
- Geothermal Laboratory
To support geothermal development in Indonesia, since 1997 Geothermal Laboratory of ITB has developed a number of software for geothermal application. The software may be used for supporting academic and research activities are
- GES, stands for Geothermal Engineering Software. to facilitate (i) the storage of data and the calculation of output from geothermal wells, from production tests (lip pressure, calorimeter and separator tests) (ii) the calculation of pressure drop in a well and in transmission lines (steam-water line and steam line), (iii) the prediction of the output from geothermal wells, (iv) the analysis of data resulting from transient tests (pressure build-up, pressure drawdown) and (v) the calculation of power output and steam consumption.
- SAR-Geothermal, stands for Sistem Analisa Resiko Geothermal, or in English is Risk Analysis System. This software was developed in 1999 to provide a tool for users to determine the price of generated electricity, rates of return and other economic parameters of the invested capital of the proposed geothermal projects. The software program is designed to have eight categories of information and function, namely general project information, geothermal resources data, exploration data, plan of development, including power plant and steam field, cost, project scheduling, and economic analysis. This Information software was developed for the Ministry of Mining (now Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources).
- IRIS, stands for Integrated Reservoir Analysis System. IRIS was developed for Kamojang geothermal field (PERTAMINA), the first geothermal field developed in Indonesia. With this system, engineers and earth scientists may share the same information. The use of IRIS may lead to the success of geothermal management. To help the engineers work more effectively and efficiently in conducting various analyses, a number of independent application modules were installed and called GeTools, which stands for Geothermal Engineering Tools. It consists of four tool boxes: (1) drilling toolbox, (2) reservoir engineering toolbox, (3) production engineering toolbox and (4) fluid properties and geochemistry toolbox. In 2003 GeTools was further developed to help the engineers work more effectively and efficiently in conducting various analyses,
- Smart Tough2 (Tough2 Post Processor) Version 2.0 & Tough2 Interface was developed to help users in analyzing the results of reservoir modeling for predicting the reservoir performance during the production period and also for investigating the best production-injection scenario. Smart Tough2 (Tough2 Post Processor) Version 2.0 & Tough2 Interface have been used by PERTAMINA for modeling Kamojang (West Java) and Lahendong (North Sulawesi) geothermal fields.
- Web-based AHP system for Geothermal prospect selection. This software was developed as a respond of government (Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources) and industries such as PERTAMINA, for geothermal development priority area among many prospects under their management. The priority selection has to be carried out fast and accurate and involving a huge amount of multidisciplinary data. Therefore, the need to develop a consistent and rigorous tool for data comparison between prospects, to support and complete the work within the allocated time constraint. This software enables us to work in a consistent and well defined selection mechanism, implemented on all prospects based on several criteria. LINK TO SOFTWARE AND BOOK, COMING SOON
Apart from developing software and conducting research, ITB has been active in providing educational materials, developing short courses and responding to inquiries from the industries and government. An Interactive_CD has been developed for distance learning.